Welcome to the Soroptimist International of Elk Grove Website.
Please take the time to look around to see who we are and how we serve our community. Hopefully you will discover that you would like to be a part of what we do and will want to join us. Leave your comments below.
A message from the Co-Presidents…
Welcome to our club! We would be thrilled to have you as a member of Soroptimist International of Elk Grove (SIEG); we are a global women’s organization whose members work to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. Soroptimist programs focus on providing women and girls with access to education, which is one of the most effective ways to end social problems disproportionately affecting women and girls.
Soroptimist International (SI) has consultative status with the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council, which oversees U.N. activities and policies promoting human rights. It is in this forum that Soroptimist representatives can advocate for the Soroptimist mission of improving the lives of women and girls. Our past efforts have been, in conjunction with other SI clubs, to purchase solar cookers for women of Darfur, Sudan; Women, Water & Leadership; and sewing dresses for Dress A Girl Around the World.
As part of our mission, we provide the following programs:
- Two $1,000 scholarships to high school girls, one of whom is a foster youth;
- “Live Your Dream Award” to assist women who are pursuing an education who provide the primary source of financial support for their families.
- “Dream it, Be It: Career Support for Girls” a mentoring program to assist high school girls in goal setting, how to achieve those goals, and overcoming obstacles. The program provides girls with access to professional role models, career education and the resources to live their dreams.
- Helping Hands, cash grants for Senior Women to assist with urgently needed living expenses.
- Assisting foster youth who are graduating from high school and transitioning to independent living.
We are grateful for the community support of our annual fundraisers which provide us with the funds to finance our programs:
- See’s Candies Store and Holiday Boutique held during the month of December (location varies – watch the Elk Grove Citizen for information)
- Martinis & Merriment held in March. Enjoy live music, professional comedians, the mini-martinis and small bites provided by local restaurants, a raffle and silent auction.
- Bunco held at Camden Springs typically in the Fall. A very fun one-day event.
Some of the many local programs that we support include:
- Elk Grove Food Bank
- John’s Shelter
- Chicks in Crisis
- Wellspring Women’s Center
- See’s for Soldiers
- My Sister’s House
Whew! We know that sounds like a lot, but we do it together. “Many hands make light work.” If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. It’s our pleasure! And again, welcome to our club!!
Sherry McLellan and Sharon Renzo
Soroptimist International of Elk Grove